Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not That I Was Going Back Anyway



I woke up this morning thinking of Prince Rupert. I don't know why. I don't remember dreaming anything. I checked it out on Google Maps. The last time I did there wasn't anything but a black and white satellite picture. Now there's Street View.

I was born and raised in Rupert. I left as soon as I graduated high school in June of 1981 and went back for about a month in the fall of 1982. I haven't been back since and I haven't missed it. Even when my Dad died I avoided a trip back by hosting a memorial for him in Victoria (he grew up here and still had lots of friends and family in the area).

These are pictures of King Edward Elementary, where I spent five of the worst years of my life - grades three to seven inclusive. It was a different colour when I was there - though I can't for the life of me remember what that colour was! Seeing it closed, boarded up, and growing over with weeds has left we feeling... ambivalent. I'm not glad its gone, per se, but I certainly won't be shedding any tears either.

(You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.)



1 comment:

Westside Goth said...

Place looks kind of creepy.